Bad Wolf

DIY CNC Construction Progress / Parts

23 posts in this topic

Instead of filling up the "Show us the machines!" thread with build chat, I have started this thread to specifically discuss CNC improvements, show build progress pics, discuss new parts, ideas etc.

And to kick it off, here is a picture of my new air pump I just received half an hour ago. I plan to use it to blow the material away from the cutting tip. Note the custom gold paint job ;)

20170426_111642.jpg

Edited by Bad Wolf

Go big or go home?

Another beastie for sure. Lots of bling going on there to. :D

Some details on the pump from the eBay ad...

Hailea ACO-009E Electromagnetic Air Compressor 145 Lpm

Hailea ACO-009E Piston Electromagnetic Air Compressor Pump could be an adequate oxygen supplier in your aquariums, fish stalls & farms, hotel seafood aeration, aquaponics, hydroponics, or other areas where strong air is a must!
Voltage: 220-240V 50Hz
Power: 160W
Pressure: 0.04MPa
Air Flow: 145Lpm
Noise: 60dB max.
Size: 283*147*173mm

First impressions are that it should do the job nicely, however I haven't got it plugged into the very restrictive Mist Coolant Lubrication System Spray yet, they are still on their way (I ordered two). I do already have a different one here that I will try hook it up to evaluate.

s-l1600.jpg

1 minute ago, Bob Larson said:

Go big or go home?

Another beastie for sure. Lots of bling going on there to. :D

I actually don't know if I would call it big. It's a reasonable physical size for a little fish tank pump, but I don't think it will be massively oversized for the job. Need to go out shortly but hoping when I come home to see if I can piece the two together and see what kind of air I get out of the nozzle.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I actually don't know if I would call it big. It's a reasonable physical size for a little fish tank pump, but I don't think it will be massively oversized for the job. Need to go out shortly but hoping when I come home to see if I can piece the two together and see what kind of air I get out of the nozzle.

Hate to ask what it cost. Got a link on the items?

2 people like this

I would urge caution when buying one of these pumps to not believe the figures quoted too readily. The small performance map on the side of the box tells the real story.

It may do 145 LPM but with absolutely no pressure. So bare that in mind when looking at the smaller pumps. 

20170426_154152.jpg

1 person likes this

Ok so now the verdict... I cut a few inches of 8mm tube off the end of my spindle hose and shoved it up the roughly 6" / 150mm long supplied tube (3/8 - 10mm ID maybe) and with a bit of hand cupping it sort of made a seal.

I put the mist hose in a cup of water and it drew the water up a few inches but didn't pull it all the way through the hose. Depending on how far open the valve was it actually blew bubbles into the cup. Suggesting the air pressure was so great that it was pressuring the mist hose instead of drawing on it.

Think I am going to need a better adaptor to reduce the hose size to get rid of all the air leaks before I can draw any conclusive results. I do however believe with the amount of cupping necessary that it should easily do one outlet if not two.

The other thing I would mention is that this mister I bought only has the one screw on it, unlike the ones I ordered that have two, one for water and one for air. I think having control over both separately will give me better control over both the misting aspect and the debris clearing. 

20170426_153559.jpg

Edited by Bad Wolf

I wouldn't imagine it would be very hard for that pump to cause a venturi effect in the block of metal so long as it was machined correctly. 

Air leaks though is another issue.

You'll get 'er sorted. Keep us posted.

1 person likes this

Well I think you have to consider the purpose for which it was built. They're designed to put air into a fish tank, and you really don't want to blow the fish out of the water, so it is more about volume than pressure. I put the supplied end on the hose to test how much air came out and as you would suspect the centre couple got the most air and the outside ones next to nothing. When you just have the supplied hose and nothing else on it does seem to deliver a decent amount of air at a reasonable pressure. I suspect that it really doesn't like to be overly restricted. If all else fails I'll just run a big hose right up to the cutting bit.

20170426_180431.jpg

1 person likes this

After playing musical cooler I finally made a decision on where to put it. Today I was working on making a bracket for the pump and the reservoir. Can't fire up the pump or the fans until my new 12v PSU turns up.

20170503_174425.jpg

Edited by Bad Wolf
1 person likes this

For now I just want to get it going. I might look at doing something different down the track, but first thing first I need to sus out if there are any vibration problems etc that need to be addressed in future versions.

Looking a little less industrial (rough) tonight... After taking to the pump bracket with the 4" grinder (thin wheel) and a light file to get some airflow through the bracket, I did a test fit and decided to do a joining bracket so I can put a small amount of tension on both parts, this should hopefully form a box and make it more rigid. 

20170505_175322.jpg

20170505_175405.jpg

2 people like this

Completely overhauled the design sooooo many times to the point I was giving myself the shits. Finally decided on this one. I am concerned it only holds about half a litre of water which may not be enough to keep the spindle cool even with the fans. 

IMG20170609181115.jpg

IMG20170609180823.jpg

2 people like this

Thanks I really struggled with the placement of the parts, but eventually got something I was semi happy with. If it works as expected I might make some new brackets to appease my OCD. 

1 person likes this

Got started on my new Y axis end plates today. It was easier to make new ones than trying to modify the existing ones. The main difference is the addition of the corner brackets to make it far stiffer. I used some 12mm ply as a waste board and cut 6mm deep grooves into it. This helps me keep the C channel in place for easy changes while maintaining position.

IMG20170727185206.jpg

IMG20170727185558.jpg

Got more done today and only have one side left to do.

IMG20170729143220.jpg

IMG20170729143253.jpg

IMG20170729143309.jpg

IMG20170729143331.jpg

1 person likes this