CNCAgent

3D Printed Prosthetics Youtube Videos

12 posts in this topic

Through the years prosthetic devices have gotten so much better with the increase of development and technology. This is a wonderful thing for those who have daily struggles with everyday life and coping with disabilities makes it even more difficult. It is amazing to see the great strides that have been made with prosthetic devices, as well as changing the lives of so many who finally feel free from their disabilities. Working in the medical field has given me the opportunities to see some of these lives change with such joy and happiness from these and many other prosthetic devices.

On 4/21/2017 at 11:17 AM, Katie Kitaro said:

Through the years prosthetic devices have gotten so much better with the increase of development and technology. This is a wonderful thing for those who have daily struggles with everyday life and coping with disabilities makes it even more difficult. It is amazing to see the great strides that have been made with prosthetic devices, as well as changing the lives of so many who finally feel free from their disabilities. Working in the medical field has given me the opportunities to see some of these lives change with such joy and happiness from these and many other prosthetic devices.

That is so hard to watch. I can't stand anyone touching my eyes, including me, so I couldn't wear contacts, I wear glasses for reading. Don't know if she has any feeling in her eyes but that would seem hard to me to put in such big foreign objects.

1 person likes this

I'm always getting something in my eyes. Metal shaving, wood splinters, grass, you name it. Always grinding something, wood working or other eye jabbing related work.

The mechanical 3d printed hand is actuated by motion, he just has to bend his wrist. No motors. No electricity.

2 people like this

On 5/6/2017 at 0:25 AM, Bad Wolf said:

What powers them both, and where are the servo motors?

Most basic non- electronic prosthetic limbs use what they call body-powered prosthesis. These prosthetic hands in the video uses human movement to work and manipulate the movement rather than an external energy source, servos or battery powered motors. A simply made harness or cable system are made as the the main connecting structure of this simple kind of prosthetic hand. Since the hand is powered by the individual, certain specific body movements has to be initiated in order to  trigger the prosthetic ability to open or close the fingers causing the grasp of an item or the closure of a fist. There is voluntary opening or voluntary closing, Voluntary opening allows the prosthetic hand to open when the person applies pressure on trigger portion of the cable system, this also closes the hand on its own accordance once that pressure is released. It is really a quite interesting science that goes into these devices.

21 hours ago, cncagent said:

I'm always getting something in my eyes. Metal shaving, wood splinters, grass, you name it. Always grinding something, wood working or other eye jabbing related work.

The mechanical 3d printed hand is actuated by motion, he just has to bend his wrist. No motors. No electricity.

Same, being mechanically inclined I have ported plenty of cast iron heads with a porting tool. One such episode of not using the proper goggles resulted in 6 pieces of cast iron in the eye. I picked them out with a needle despite being weirded out just touching my eyelid. Next time it happened I went to the hospital to get just one out and they put in some dye and drilled it out, I'm inclined to say my way is better. The most recent trip to the hospital was when I got some small fragments of grinding wheel in my eye when it slipped past my glasses. After that I decide enough was enough and bought a full face shield. Needless to say when I was grinding on my new CNC bracket the other day I only had my glasses on...

7 hours ago, Katie Kitaro said:

Most basic non- electronic prosthetic limbs use what they call body-powered prosthesis. These prosthetic hands in the video uses human movement to work and manipulate the movement rather than an external energy source, servos or battery powered motors. A simply made harness or cable system are made as the the main connecting structure of this simple kind of prosthetic hand. Since the hand is powered by the individual, certain specific body movements has to be initiated in order to  trigger the prosthetic ability to open or close the fingers causing the grasp of an item or the closure of a fist. There is voluntary opening or voluntary closing, Voluntary opening allows the prosthetic hand to open when the person applies pressure on trigger portion of the cable system, this also closes the hand on its own accordance once that pressure is released. It is really a quite interesting science that goes into these devices.

Kind of cool that they can still partially use the limb to perform some limited functionality. 

2 people like this

Yup, hear that Bad Wolf. I can totally relate. I get something in my eye at least once a day.

That's for sure! Amazing the things that will be coming in new developments in robotics.